Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tuesday's Top 10: Great Reads for Mom

Books are such a delight for me.  I love the feel of a book in my hands.  I love the smell of opened pages.  I love how characters come to life and their emotions my own...even making me physically sick sometimes.  Has that ever happened to you?  That sick feeling you get while reading a compelling novel?  

I enjoy going to the library and being surrounded by books.  I will read just about anything...fiction, self-help books, devotions, magazines.  You name it, and I'll pick it up...anything from great works of literature to drug store novellas.  I've read so many books over the years that I couldn't possibly think of my top 10 favorite (because for various reasons I usually enjoy the majority of what I read).    

When I decided to think of a book list for my Tuesday's Top 10, for whatever reason, these are the 10 books that came to mind.  They are not necessarily my favorite (though some are) and they aren't necessarily my top recommendations (though some are), but they have definitely been on mind.  Some of them years after I've read them.



Top 10 Books
(and these are in order of how they came to mind)

1.  Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.  A romance novel with biblical themes.  This is a book I had to buy a copy to keep for myself.  I have returned to this book again and again.  It leaves such an impact on the the way we unconditionally love others.  Beautifully and powerfully written.

2.  Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell.  This book has strengthened and encouraged my role as a mother and a wife.  It led me to seek the Lord and a meek and quiet spirit instead one where daily activities can lead to frustration and discouragement.  A wonderful read for any mother...stay-at-home mom, working mom, homeschooling mom, and grandmother.      

3.  The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  Such a sweet, poignant look into 1960's culture.  Relationships nor love know no bounds.     

4.  Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst.  This devotional made me take a hard look at the things I crave first before God.  While the book focuses on food, we found in Bible study that food isn't the issue for everyone...for some it is obsessive cleaning, shopping, etc. Craving isn't a bad thing.  We were made to crave God alone.

5.  The Strong-Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson.  A Biblical self-help book on parenting.  It helped me appreciate and adore my strong-willed child in a way I hadn't before.  I was brought to tears to see how this quality should and can be treasured.  It gives practical help in "shaping the will while protecting the spirit."

6.  Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Baby Proof, Love the One You're With, and Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin.  So basically anything by Emily Giffin ;)  I enjoyed all of these romantic dramas and they are spiced with humor.  Perfect beach reads!

7.  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  A psychological thriller.  It was definitely a page-turner and left me thinking about it days after I finished reading it, but I'm not sure I would recommend it.  The ending left me reeling...thinking "What????!!!!???"  Don't want to spoil it though.

8.  Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.  I read this book years ago, and it still resonates with me today.  I'll catch myself remembering this book, its themes, and characters.  A compelling and powerful look at friendship and how it shapes our lives.

9.  Gilgamesh by Joan London.  A fascinating look at a woman's world during WWII.  Initially set in Australia, it transports you through London, Soviet Armenia, and other exotic places when the world is on the verge of erupting in war.

10.  A Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve.  Vivid imagery of Kenyan culture and landscape.  A look into how seemingly innocent actions can affect your marriage.     

              
Happy Reading,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment